Thinking of buying a puppy? If so, where are you going to buy the puppy? Will you buy your puppy from a dog breeder or a pet store?
I know when I was thinking of getting a puppy, it was a big decision for me. Buying from a dog breeder or a pet store both have advantages and disadvantages.
I was concerned about getting a healthy puppy that would be with me for many years. So I did a little research.
Many feel that buying from a breeder is the better choice. Dog breeders are known to be more responsible and ethical. The process of buying a puppy take a little longer with a breeder but the new owner has to prove they are the right fit for the puppy.
- When you buy from a breeder, he will have knowledge of the breed and be able counsel you on what to expect from your puppy and what breed puppy will fit into your lifestyle. Knowing about the breed of your dog is important because you will know the dog’s temperament and the behavior of the breed.
- When you buy from a breeder you will know your dog’lineage. The breeder will be able to tell you the health history of the puppy’s mother, father and relatives.from breeder
- Also, breeders guarantee the health of the puppy. They give you a health guarantee because they are concerned about the health of each puppy. If your puppy is affected by certain diseases you may get a refund, a replacement puppy or money for medical expenses.
- Puppies bought from a breeder are more socialized. These puppies are used to being in a home and used to being around people. They will grow to be friendly and affectionate dogs.
- The price of a puppy from a breeder will be higher than that of a pet store.
- You may have a hard time finding a reputable breeder. Do your research. Maybe you could find a breeder through a veterinarian or other dog owners.
- Most breeders have wait lists. You may have to wait for the next litter if you want a specific breed and that breed of puppies are in demand.
Buying from a pet store is usually an impulse buy. You pass the neighborhood pet store every day and see the cute puppies in the window. Eventually it get your starting to think about getting one of these puppies.
- Buying from a pet store is easy. You can go to a pet store anytime and pick out a puppy. Some pet stores promise grooming and a check-up by a veterinarian.
- The cost of a puppy from a pet store will be less. When you buy from a pet store, there are many puppies to choose from. Therefore, there is no waiting list, no screening process and not application.
- Because pet stores have many dogs, the members of the staff will not have knowledge of each individual puppy. It would be up to you to make a decision based on your gut feeling.
- One of the biggest disadvantages is that you would not know the health history of the puppy’s lineage. Because most of the puppies are bought from puppy mills the origin of the puppy is unknown. Pet stores perform a wellness test but will not know about the genetic history.
- Most pet stores buy puppies from puppy mills or backyard breeders. Puppies are not taken care of in the proper way. As a result they are born and raised in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions. These puppies are not properly socialized, have limited human contact and can develop behavioral problems.
Buying from a dog breeder or a pet store is a big decision. You have to weigh the advantages and the disadvantages then make the choice that is good for you.
Many people feel pet stores encourage the growth of puppy mills and the population of homeless dogs is large enough.
Although that may be true, my question is “What happens to that dog sitting in the cage in a pet store.” It;’s been said, “If you buy a pet store puppy, another one has to fill that empty cage.” Probably from a puppy mill.
The dogs are alive. What do we do? Yes, there are more advantages to buying from a breeder. Buying from a pet store has a few risks.
I, for one, feel it’s your decision. There is not right or wrong. We are dealing with a living thing.
All dogs need love and a home.